Wednesday 29 April 2015

Guardiola: I've never been so proud of my players

The coach refused to blame his players after watching them crash out of the DFB-Pokal at the semi-final stage on penalties.Pep Guardiola says Bayern Munich should not feel any shame after they lost to Borussia Dortmund in the DFB-Pokal semi-final on Tuesday.


Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's 75th minute goal cancelled out Robert Lewandowski's opener to take the game into extra-time.
Both sides failed to find a winner and so a penalty shoot-out ensued, with Dortmund emerging victorious after Bayern missed all four of their spot-kicks, while Ilkay Gundogan and Sebastian Kehl converted for BVB.
"I am proud of my team. In fact, I have never been this proud of my players," Guardiola told Sky.
"We played very well. It was the best game we have played against Dortmund since I arrived at Bayern.
"This is nothing to be ashamed of. We lost a football match. To be ashamed would need something worse.
Arjen Robben made his return from injury after a month on the sidelines when he came on in the 71st minute, but had to be replaced less than 15 minutes later with a thigh injury, while Robert Lewandowski was also substituted with a head injury.
"Arjen is injured, Thiago picked up a knock and Lewy needs to go to hospital with a concussion. I don't know if Lewandowski will play against Barcelona," Guardiola concluded.
"This does not mean anything for the Barcelona game. That is a new match and a new competition."

No comments:

Post a Comment