Friday 29 May 2015

Hodgson wary of outstaying England welcome

The 67-year-old is not ready to rule out extending his current contract, which expires after Euro 2016, but notes the downturn in popularly suffered by the likes of Fabio Capello.Roy Hodgson is open to extending his stay as England manager beyond Euro 2016, but is wary of overstaying his welcome.The 67-year-old currently has a contact which expires following the tournament in France in a year's time and is enjoying his time in charge, with England recording a 100 per cent record from their first five qualifiers.
Hodgson, though, has acknowledged the downturn in popularity both Sven-Goran Eriksson and Fabio Capello suffered after disappointing tournaments and is not willing to stay where he is not welcome.If you could promise me my life would be as great as it is at the moment for the next three years, of course I would be delighted to carry on, he told reporters.But I am a football realist. I know what football does and can do. And I also know what overstaying your welcome can do and I would really not want to do that.Of course it's tempting to think that one could stay longer ... but it has got to be wanted, first by the FA, and it has to be wanted by the English people because you see so many examples.Sven-Goran Eriksson and Fabio Capello] were not that unpopular going into the tournament, they come out and everyone is saying 'oh God, we don't want the next two years'. I would not want that to happen.I don't want that at 68 coming on 69 years of age, I don't want that. But I also don't want to say that I would definitely stop football after 2016 at the age of 69 because I don't think I can do a job in football.I have no idea what the FA are thinking in that respect. I am very, very comfortable enjoying the moment. If Euro 2016 is to be my last tournament, that is fine. I won't be bitterly disappointed.Next up for Hodgson and England is a friendly clash with Republic of Ireland on June 7 before travelling to Slovenia a week later as their European Championship qualifiers resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment