Wednesday 10 June 2015

Bidding process for 2026 World Cup suspended

The announcement of the bidding process for the 2026 World Cup has been delayed by FIFA.The decision was due to be made in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, in May 2017 but amid allegations over corruption into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids, the process has been puit on hold with no clear date as to when it can be made.The 2018 and 2022 tournaments were awarded to Russia and Qatar respectively, but both are being investigated by Swiss authorities due to allegations of bribery and corruption within their bidding processes.FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said on Wednesday: "Due to the situation, I think it's nonsense to start any bidding process for the time being. It will be postponed."Among the countries interested in hosting the 2026 World Cup are believed to be USA, Canada, Mexico and Colombia.
Speaking in a press conference in south Russia, Valcke was also asked about $10million paid into accounts controlled by disgraced former vice-president Jack Warner, wanted in the USA on corruption charges, and whether he had been questioned by police in connection with the payment.Valcke added: "I have never been questioned and the Swiss police has all the files, and I am happy to answer any question as transparently as I can."I am in front of you but I have nothing else to add. What do you want me to add? Do you want me to take things and hit my head, and say 'yeah, yeah, yeah, I have been stupid - I should have asked many questions'."I think it's too much now and I will not take any more questions about this $10m. This is the first time I have done this in front of so many journalists. I was destroyed by the French media, maybe for other reasons, but that's another point."I don't have to justify myself and the only person I will answer questions to about this is my father, who is 80 years old and does not understand what is happening about me."

No comments:

Post a Comment