Saturday 6 June 2015

Busquets: I play only for the team

The five-time Liga winner says he has no interest in personal praise, explainingn that he is solely motivated by helping others shine.Barcelona ace Sergio Busquets says that he is unconcerned by his lack of individual accolades and interested only in the success of his team.The defensive midfielder doesn’t enjoy the individual fame and stardom bestowed upon some his more illustrious colleagues and rarely features in the media spotlight.However, the 26-year-old says that he is more than comfortable with his low profile.The only thing that interests me is my team, Busquets told L’Equipe.Among players, coaches, people who know football, yes I feel I get recognition. In the media, I do not feel recognised, but that’s because I don’t put myself in the media.
I'm not a player who is always on Twitter or Facebook.The five-time Liga winner, who will be looking for his third Champions League title when Barca face Juventus in Berlin on Saturday, adds that his position on the field is another reason for his lack of personal praise.Mine is not a role that draws attention but is very important for the team, he stated. Although it’s is not a position we watch, I feel good there. I prefer the feeling of helping the team rather than shining above it.World Cup-winner Busquets, who team-mate Xavi once described as the smartest footballer he has ever seen, has played a vital role in the success of Spain and Barcelona since being promoted to the senior side by former coach Pep Guardiola in 2008.I’m thankful for Xavi’s comment,” he added. “Sometimes I succeed, sometimes not.In my position, it's very important to control everything, even though you often cannot do it all.But playing in the centre of the midfield is a very important position because it ensures the balance of the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment