Thursday 30 July 2015

Miguel Herrera apologises for alleged punch on journalist

The former Mexico boss has released a statement in which he admits he is saddened to have left his post as a result of the airport incident.Former Mexico head coach Miguel Herrera has apologised for his alleged assault of a journalist in Philadelphia airport on Monday.Just hours after Mexico lifted the Gold Cup, Herrera allegedly punched Christian Martinoli of TV Azteca at the Philadelphia airport - an incident which led to the 47-year-old being sacked by the country's football federation.Herrera has since issued an apology for his actions and admits he is saddened to have been forced to leave his post.I want to publicly apologise to the fans, the coaching staff, players, Mexico Football Federation and the media for my behaviour in the regretful incident that I had with a commentator, Herrera said in a statement.
I understand that this is not an attitude a Mexico national team coach should have, despite all the criticism, taunts and jokes against myself and my family.It makes me very sad to be leaving my position as national team coach due to this regrettable cause, especially because the results have been, for the most part, positive within the goals we set ... I will be taking advantage of this time to enjoy my family, rest a bit and afterward, I will return as the same person and you will have in me, as always, an open door."The former Club America boss was given the Mexico job in November 2013. During his time in charge, he led El Tri to a World Cup round-of-16 appearance, a Copa America first-round exit, and a Gold Cup title.

No comments:

Post a Comment